Tuesday, 24 December 2013

Meet Susannah from Simple Moments Stick!

One of the things I love most about blogging is meeting interesting people. I must say, in the 5 months that I've started blogging again, Susannah at Simple Moments Stick is definitely one of the most interesting bloggers I've met so far. Would you believe she grew up in Taiwan, and has 11 brothers and sisters? Now that I think about it, interesting might be a bit of an understatement when it comes to describing this wonderful woman.


Susannah is currently living in Portland with her husband Nate. You should check out their love story. Such a sweet one! And I admit, I went all gooey when I read the proposal. Must make notes for my future husband!

When I was reading about Susannah, I couldn't get my head around how she coped with so many brothers and sisters. So I asked her about it, and some other questions too.


I can't believe you have 11 brothers and sisters! I can only imagine how crazy that was. For an only-child like me that loves her privacy and alone time, was this ever an issue for you?

Susannah: Haha. Yes! Having eleven brothers and sisters WAS crazy! Not having alone time was definitely an issue for me! Even though I can be outgoing, I'm definitely an introvert. Thankfully (or not so thankfully) my sister that was one younger than me and I REALLY didn't get along growing up and my parents knew better than to have us share a room. Because of this, I almost always had my own room growing up! ;-) (My sister and I get along much better now that we're both adults. Haha) Also, not all twelve of us kids ever lived at home at one time. My oldest brother was out of the house before the last four were adopted and my next older brother was out of the house before the last three were adopted. I was only home for a year with all the younger kids before I went off to college.

Just out of curiosity, are you planning on having a large family as well?

Susannah: Yes, it's fun to finally be at the stage where Nate and I are actively trying for a family!  (And kind of stressful too, to be honest)  We're planning on having four kids (which to me sounds like a TINY family) but I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with six kids.  And no, five is not an option.  My OCD-ness is not ok with the idea of having an odd number of children.

I read that you were wanting to leave your job. What are you currently doing now, and what do you plan to do once you leave?

Susannah:I work as a medical receptionist. I really enjoy my job but it's not where my heart is. My dream is to be a stay at home mom, taking care of and homeschooling my children. I'd love to go on adventures with them and truly teach them from real life experiences. I also am throwing around some ideas of how to contribute financially to the family once we have kids.  Some things I'm considering are putting on blogger's weekends, getting training to be a doula, and/or open an etsy store.

You mentioned that you started off your blog in 2012 to keep track of your "new self". What have you learned since then?

Susannah:I've learned so much about myself in the past two years. I don't even know where to start. I think a big thing I've learned is to be confident in who I am. Blogging has opened up my eyes to so many different ways of life - some of which I've adopted into my own life and some that I haven't. I've been able to escape the idea of who I think others want me to be and truly decide for myself (and with my husband, of course) what I want MY life to look like.


What are your hopes & dreams for 2014? How are you going to make them come true?

Susannah:Well, obviously, my hope for 2014 is to get pregnant. I'm not going to go into how I'll make that come true. If you don't know maybe you should go ask your mom. Haha. Beyond that... Well, we're hoping that Nate will get a job as a pastor sometime this year and that would be such a blessing. He's graduating next December (praise the Lord!) and we're hoping for a job offer before then. For myself... I would love to set in stone more of what side jobs I'd like to do in the next season of life. I'm meeting with a friend who is training to be a doula now to discuss the process, I'm really solidifying what I'd like to make and sell in an etsy shop, and I'm working hard on figuring out what a bloggers' weekend would look like. I'm excited for this next year!!!

If you'd like to know more about Susannah, here are some of her posts that I think are just totally fantastic. These aren't quite the post titles, I did a bit of improvising:


take care,

1 comment:

  1. Amanda Papenfus Eatherly25 December 2013 at 09:52

    Interesting interview :-)

    ReplyDelete