Sunday, 1 December 2013

101 Things In 1001 Days

I first heard of the 101 in 1001 a few days ago when I read Mary's own list. After reading it, I immediately wanted to participate. It was the perfect combination of practicing gratitude by giving back, and carrying on with my Something New Challenge. It's also a great opportunity to work on my bucket list, since it comes with a deadline.

So how does it work? Here's some information from the Day Zero Project website:

The Challenge:
Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days.

The Criteria:
Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on your part).

My Challenge Start Date: December 1, 2013
My Challenge End Date: August 28, 2016
Progress:  20 out of 101 as of January 10, 2015

1. Try horseback riding(completed Oct 2014)
2. Have a white Christmas.
3. Try a pumpkin latte.
4. Pet a red panda.
5. Meet Anne in London.
6. Meet Liz in the UK.
7. Meet Aimee & Rebecca in the UK.
8. Make a snow angel or build a snowman.
9. Go to a poetry reading.
10. Attend a dance class.
11. See The Rolling Stones in Concert(completed Nov 2014)
12. Say yes to everything for an entire week.
13. Experience 5 star dining.
14. Set up a new blog.
15. Do a guest post.
16. Complete a month-long blogging challenge(completed Jan 2014)
17. Start up Etsy/Bigcartel shop.
18. Make a fauxdori (traveler's notebook)(completed Dec 2014)
19. Reach 1001 followers on Instagram.
20. Visit the Warner Bros. Studio Tour - The Making of Harry Potter.
21. Try macarons at Ladurée in Paris.
22. Attend a class at Alain de Botton's School of Life.
23. Travel by myself.
24. Shop at Kate Spade in Bicester Village.
25. Take photos from the London Eye at Sunset.
26. Go up the 500 steps to the Golden Dome of St. Paul's Cathedral.
27. Go to a "Late at Tate" event.
28. Watch a play at Shakespeare's Globe Theatre.
29. Revisit Rome.
30. Take a stroll through Hyde Park.
31. Visit Prague.
32. Go to a spa in Bath.
33. Browse in Libreria Acqua Alta in Venice.
34. Experience Carnivale in Venice.
35. See the Notting Hill Carnival.
36. Visit Stonehenge.
37. Return to the Louvre.
38. Attend the Hay-on-Wye Festival.
39. Go to Edinburgh for the Fringe Festival.
40. See the Eiffel Tower again, this time at night.
41. See the Greenwich & Docklands International Festival.
42. Attend evensong at Westminster Abbey.
43. Visit the fair city of Verona.
44. Explore Florence.
45. Take a cheesy photo at the Leaning Tower of Pisa.
46. Visit St. Ives.
47. Go to Stratford-Upon-Avon.
48. See the Jurassic Coast.
49. Celebrate my 31st birthday in Disneyland Paris.
50. Watch "Mouse Trap" at the West End.
51. Visit the Weta Workshop in Wellington.
52. Drop by "221B Baker Street".
53. Write my will.
54. Finish my Happiness Journal(completed Jan 2015)
55. Finish my Mindfulness Journal.
56. Practice daily gratitude for a month(completed Dec 2013)
57. Complete my Goals Journal.  (completed 2014)
58. Do the "Simplify. Structure. Succeed." workbook.
59. Start learning French.
60. Finish my Certificate in Money Management course(completed Dec. 16, 2013)
61. Complete the National Certificate in Youth Work (completed September 2014)
62. Get my full licence.
63. Know the Desiderata by heart(completed Jan. 6, 2014)
64. Complete "A Bright Project 2014"(completed 2014)
65. Try out a Hobonichi planner (available Sept).
66. Write a letter to my future husband(copied this one from Mary! Completed Dec. 14, 2013)
67. Write a letter to myself, to be opened after 1001 days(completed Dec. 14, 2013)
68. Finish my 365 journal.
69. Write a letter to myself, to be opened in 10 years time(completed Dec. 30, 2013)
70. Complete my Sentence a Day journal for 2014(completed Dec 31, 2014)
71. Complete my Sentence a Day journal for 2015.
72. Know how to use my DSLR in manual mode.
73. Complete a Photo A Day challenge in 2015.
74. Volunteer for a cause I care about.
75. Donate blood.
76. Do 10 Random Acts of Book Gifting.
77. Donate to UNICEF(completed 2014)
78. Leave $20 towards someone's groceries.
79. Influence someone to do their own 101 in 1001 list(completed Dec 2013)
80. Pay for a stranger's morning coffee.
81. Do a random act of kindness in 3 different countries.
82. Read something by Shakespeare(completed 2014)
83. Reach my 2014 reading goal(completed Oct 2014)
84. Reach my 2015 reading goal.
85. Read all the Discworld novels.
86. Lose 5 kgs.
87. Try a beginner's yoga class.
88. Lose another 5 kgs.
89. And another 5kgs.
90. Meditate daily for a whole month.
91. No chocolates/lollies/desserts for a week.
92. Private goal.
93. Private goal.
94. Private goal.
95. Private goal.
96. Reach my travel savings goal.
97. Have an emergency fund.
98. Complete a month-long "no spend" challenge.
99. Reach my term deposit savings goal(completed 2014)
100. Read 180 books in 1001 days.
101. Complete a 28-day "No Starbucks" challenge.

Wish me luck!


take care,

21 comments:

  1. Amanda Papenfus Eatherly1 December 2013 at 19:32

    Nice list and good luck! I like that you broke it up into different categories. Good idea. I started mine, but I am nowhere close to 101 yet. As far as learning German, I have a category on my blog where I keep track of some of the things that have helped me, although I'm nowhere near fluent. http://amandapoverseas.wordpress.com/category/a-lifetime-of-learning/language-learning/learning-german/ I still have a lot more entries I need to add to it in the future (German movies, translations of songs, dual language books, etc.).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, such a nice list and such a great idea. Good luck! Hope you keep us posted on what you complete :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. did you enter them all into the day zero project website? i liked the idea of this, but i feel like it's so much time and effort to be checking it off in another place.. that i just keep it on my blog. i don't know if the community on there is awesome and supportive and that's why people stay on there though. :) if i redo my this year, does that mean you've inspired me to make my own?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got a wish list going on my blog - but I really love this idea. and you've definitely inspired me to make my own list! I just need some time to get my ideas together. It might be a project for 2014! I'm looking forward to seeing all the things you accomplish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yay! That means I can cross off #83 right? ;) Yeah it took me a few days to get this list together too. I thought it was going to be pretty easy, but after about 40-something I really struggled.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did, but after doing it I actually thought, "What was the point of that?" >_< I'm seriously starting to question my time management skills. I'll just keep it on my blog, and maybe update on the day zero site if I ever remember. I can't wait for my next day off so I can just sit down and start planning/scheduling things that I can start on.


    And yes, I'll take a win anywhere I can, so if you restart yours, I've inspired you :P bwahahahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks hun! oh my goodness, I need to say hi to you! It's been a while!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Angela! I'm incredibly sorry for the late reply. Thank you so much for the award nomination! That's so kind of you. :) I wish you all the best with your own list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Susanne :) It's been 10 days and I haven't done much! I can't wait for the holidays so I can start planning and preparing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh! Thank you so much for sharing. I started learning a few years ago, when I was dating a German boy. Well... only because we'd been together for a few years and thought we were getting married :P lol


    Anyway, I think I only managed to get to the point where I could order myself something at a restaurant and actually have an idea what I'd asked for, but that was about it. Fingers crossed I can motivate myself to keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amanda Papenfus Eatherly10 December 2013 at 22:21

    You're welcome. I started learning in HS but the teacher mostly gave vocab worksheets and free time, which was fine at the time but not so much when I found out I was moving to Germany lol. I actually remembered quite a bit as I started practicing again but I still know more vocab words than how to use them. I'm happy if I can get through a restaurant order or shopping transaction without having to resort to English. Most of the rest of the conversations I've had have been someone speaking in German and me answering in English with them apparently understanding and asking me more in German so I guess at least it's not just me that understands more than I can speak lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. At least you can understand it! Whereas I mostly just stammered "Entschuldigung, bitte in Englisch?" when asked any further questions :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amanda Papenfus Eatherly11 December 2013 at 02:31

    nur ein bisschen. Fortunately if you ever end up in Germany, at least so far as I have experienced, you won't have a problem finding people who speak English ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. i did it so i think you can technically cross it off! :) http://www.estherandjacob.com/101-in-1001-days-personal-goal-setting/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh yay! I'm gonna go look now :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know! That's why I got so annoyed at a customs guy who told me he didn't speak English, watched me make a fool of myself trying to mime and speak terrible German, and then effortlessly ask me in fluent English, "Yes, but what about that one?"

    He said it was funny to watch me mime and throw random German words into my sentences. HMPH!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amanda Papenfus Eatherly14 December 2013 at 02:43

    That's kind of mean lol. I know there are some who will say they only speak "a little" and then speak better than many Americans, but I've heard that's because they have to take a test in school and if they don't pass it they don't say they speak English. Those who do tend to say "of course' lol.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I want postcards, woman! At least one from each country you visit! Did you have the list completely filled out with goals before you started the project?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Haha, I'll try my hardest! Email me your address and I'll put you down in my book.


    I didn't start the project until I had a complete list, but I don't see why you can't start it before having a complete one. I'm pretty sure I saw some people write "Have a complete list of 101 things in 1001 days" as one of their goals.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I read this the other day and you have inspired me to do this!! I am so excited!! I started it on March 15th! I'll put it up on my blog soon enough, I am just reconsidering some of my things because I think some are just wayyy too unrealistic LOL. This is such an awesome thing though! I feel like this is something to help me get through the couple of years when I am feeling down and unmotivated!

    ReplyDelete