Friday, 15 November 2013

On Happiness and Changes

page from the Kikki-k happiness journal | photo by me, edited with BeautifulMess
I've had the reputation of being a very negative person. I used to complain a lot. I was constantly irritated and got angry quickly. I had no patience at work and became rude to my staff. I was that person that mumbles, "fine" when asked how I am, then proceeds to moan about work and about how much my life sucked.

Since I left a job that was making me highly stressed and deeply unhappy, I started noticing the changes within a few weeks. I wasn't as angry anymore and I was less impatient. I was more relaxed. Within a few months, I noticed that I complained less. I actually had nice things to say when I was talking to people!

It's been a little over 10 months since I quit that job. The other day, I bumped into someone I used to work with, who asked me how I was doing. It became quite a surprise to me, when I answered, "I'm great!" And I truly meant it.

I was a little confused after that exchange. I was working less hours, earning less than I used to. The job I have now wasn't as mentally and physically demanding as the one I used to have - a work factor that is important to me. I can't afford to spend like I used to, buy nice things just because I wanted them. Not anymore.

But I have never been happier in my life.

Have you changed anything recently in your life? Has it made you more happy/unhappy? What would you like to change so you can be happier?

take care,

13 comments:

  1. I really do think work has a huge impact on your outlook in life. high stress jobs might pay more money.. but just lower quality of life. I'm glad that you are much happier now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you hun =) At first I was worried, since I knew I wouldn't be able to have the same lifestyle as before. But since I started blogging, and doing Photo A Day, it's all given me a better perspective on life.

    Though part of me is a little sad that it'll take me longer to save for travel! Heehee! But you're right, at least I'm happy. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you have found a new lease of life! :) I too, can be a bit of a moaner, wanting and striving for more. I do believe that a lot of stress can completely put a downer on things!
    http://lifeinsidethelocket.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful :) I am happy for you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great! Sometimes changes can be for the better, even if it means you have to cut back a a few things.
    I did the same thing too (not workwise though), and now... I am doing better than a year ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm kinda facing that right now. Recently I've been in mood swings. I quickly snap at people so I'm trying to change that.

    Anna Czarina

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, I definitely relate with you on this post. I used to work in retail before I started working where I work now and my mood was so horrible when I used to work there that my parents were actually worried!

    Since leaving though, I'm definitely much happier despite it being a little less pay. Who's complaining, though, when I get to do what I love :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Lucy, I'm glad you stopped by. :) Yeah, it's amazing how much high levels of stress can change a person. I'm just glad to be back to my normal self.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I find it a little funny how stubborn people can be. I knew what was making me unhappy for a long time, but I never did anything about it until I really couldn't take any more. It all just seems a bit silly now really. Glad to hear you're doing much better now Susanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anna Czarina, I'm glad to hear that you know what's wrong, and that you're trying to change it. I did the change because I was appalled at the person I'd become. Good luck on your situation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha, that's crazy! I used to work in retail too. It was a store manager role. I loved the job itself, but some of the people I was working with were driving me nuts. No amount of various training techniques worked on them! I started questioning my abilities, but then I hired a bunch of new staff and trained them myself, and they were great!

    I'm glad to hear that you're happier too, and that you're doing something you love! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm pretty sure we're twins. This sounds like my life. I started counting my blessings instead of my problems. I'm so much happier now. :) I'm glad you are too.

    ReplyDelete