Friday, 8 November 2013

11 Years of Being A Kiwi


Sorry for the silence guys! I've been having some issues with our internet, and also been sick, again. Boo! Feeling much better now though, just in time for the weekend - hooray!

While I've been stuck in my bed with the flu for the past few days, I realised that the Saturday just gone marks the 11th year since I've immigrated to New Zealand. What?! Where did all that time go?

And where's the cake?

Anyway, I thought it would be nice to write a light-hearted list of some of the things I've learned from the 11 years I've been living as a Kiwi.

photo sourced from here
1. It's normal to walk barefoot outside. Even when shopping around town. If you were out and about with bare feet and wearing your onesie, people might give you a second look, nothing more.

photo sourced from here
2. Tinned spaghetti or baked beans on toast is pretty nice. So is banana and honey on toast. Chips (yep, potato chips) in white bread? Not for me, thank you.

3. Marmite. You love it, or hate it. It's truly an acquired taste, which I never quite got.

4. Just call your professor who's got a PhD in Nuclear Physics as *insert first name here*. He'll be more uncomfortable if you call him "doctor". Using the titles sir/ma'am in the office or at university is not normal here.

photo sourced from here
5. Christmas at the beach is fun. Don't forget your barbie. And by that, we mean your outdoor grill, not the doll. Oh and bring your chilly bin to keep the drinks cold!

photo sourced from here
6. Sports can bring a whole nation together. Go All Blacks!

photo sourced from here
7. These are jandals. Not thongs. Not flipflops. Just jandals.

photo sourced from here
8. "Do it yourself, mate!" We love our D-I-Y in this country.

9. And if all else fails, remember... "She'll be right!" The laid-back attitude can be quite infectious.

photo sourced from here
10. "We have tomato sauce with our fush and chups here in New Zuland". Natural born Kiwis will deny talking like this, but I do hear it. Quite often. I know I've got a bit of the accent, but I haven't picked up this one.

Have a great weekend everyone!

take care,

13 comments:

  1. Wonderful post!! :D It looks like such an amazing country to be in! I would adore to travel there one day :D (and those fish n' chips look amaaazing! :D)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! It's amazing how long you've been there! It must be so fun having a kiwi kind of life! And the fish and chips are deelish!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha i love the fush and chups! and the meat pies too! my friend just moved to new zealand for a year and i've seen a lot of diy. where did you live before nz?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi- checking out your blog from the FMS gift exchange. I love this list. Where did you live before New Zealand? And do they really call them jandals?

    *Erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah, I forgot about the meat pies! I found those really strange when we first arrived here. I used to live in the Philippines before I moved to NZ. :) sending you an email soon! I've got so many questions from reading through your amazing blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh hi Erin! I'm sending you an email :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mary, yeah it's fun now that I've adjusted to it. It took a few years to get used to, it was hard at first. And yes, fish and chips are yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Let me know when you're ever coming here! Would love to show you around :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, we can make a Lush tour out of it! =) heehee

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cool post! I love learning about other countries and cultures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks beautiful :) can't wait to finish all my stuff so I can read your holiday post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't imagine walking around barefoot in any place other than my home. Very interesting. I love learning about other cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know what you mean Bri. The first time I saw someone doing that I thought it was just one weirdo. Ooops. 11 years later, I sometimes do it myself. Only in grassy areas at the park though!

    ReplyDelete