Thursday, 10 October 2013

A Little Kindness


I’m sure you’ve met HER. Steely gaze. Face like stone. Rude as heck with a mouth that would make a sailor blush. You either quickly walk away from her, dismiss her, don’t want to have anything to do with her. Or you face her with a little aggression of your own. I know I have.

We dwell on the incident. Tell our friends and co-workers, “You won’t believe what happened to me today! This really rude woman…” We vent our frustration. How dare she!

But have we stopped to think of why she acted the way she did?

I was recently humbled by an experience with HER. She approached me aggressively, was incredibly rude, tried to intimidate me to get what she wanted. I don’t know if it was instinctively or spitefully, but I gave as good as I got, as much as I could get away with. At the time it felt the right thing to do.

Later on in the day, as I was talking to someone at work about it, they told me about HER background. Afterwards, I felt so ashamed at how I reacted to her. She had a reason for being the way she was. After being physically beaten for years, and being mentally and emotionally abused, she felt the need to put on a front. She had to be strong in front of everyone, so they can’t see the fear that she had to live with day by day.

I don’t feel sorry for her. She doesn’t need my pity. I think what she needed from me at that time was a little kindness, and some understanding that there’s a reason why she is the way she is.

take care,



Writer's Workshop October 10 Topic: October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Inspired by Mama Kat's friend Carol, who is hosting a walk in honour of her daughter Shaniel who recently lost her life to domestic violence. Click on the image below if you'd like to find out more.

Mama’s Losin’ It

7 comments:

  1. What a good reminder. We don't ever know what someone else's struggles are, do we?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder. Everyone is battling some type of battle in their lives...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You never know what might lie behind a person's façade. Being kind, now that's just good advice.

    kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true isn't it? Thank you Kelley :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must admit, I need to remember this more often myself! Thanks Samantha :)

    ReplyDelete